IU's main campuses are IU Bloomington, our oldest and largest campus, and IUPUI, an urban campus that offers degrees from IU and Purdue University. During the Great Depression, Indiana University fared much better than most state schools thanks to the entrepreneurial spirit of its young president Herman Wells. In 1828, the name was changed to Indiana College, and in 1838 it was granted university status. Indiana teachers, staff and alumni include nine Nobel Laureates, 19 Rhodes Scholars, 17 Marshall Scholars and five MacArthur Fellows.
In addition, it ranked Indiana University-Bloomington 16th in the world in Business Administration, 7th in the world in Communication, 5th in the world in Public Administration and 2nd in the world in Library and Information Science. For most of the history of medical school, its students studied in Bloomington and Indianapolis, until in 1958 the Bloomington division moved to the capital. The school operates a 22,000 square foot (2,000 m) community eye care clinic in Bloomington and a clinic in Indianapolis. The Indiana University Research and Technology Corporation (IURTC) is a non-profit agency that helps IU professors and researchers harness the commercial potential of their discoveries.
The medical school, created in Bloomington in 1903, is headquartered in Indianapolis and has branches throughout the state. IUPUI regional centers include the IUPUC, which offers a variety of IU and Purdue degrees in south-central Indiana, and the IU Fort Wayne, which offers health science degrees on a campus shared with Purdue Fort Wayne. The Department of Chemistry has a history at Indiana University since the institution's earliest days. The Indiana University School of Social Work was founded in 1911 as a Department of Social Service, making it the oldest professional social work education program that began and is still operating as part of a university.
The Indiana state government in Corydon established Indiana University on January 20, 1820 as a State Seminary. Indiana University has two main campuses, five regional campuses, and two regional centers under the administration of the IUPUI. Several first- and second-year students from the Indiana University School of Medicine (which is based at the IUPUI) complete their preclinical education in the Medical Sciences Program on the Bloomington campus, which is located within the Department of Biology and the Indiana Institute of Molecular Biology. Many of the campus buildings, especially the older central buildings, are made of locally mined Indiana limestone.
Libraries hire graduate students in the Master of Library Science program at Indiana University to act as center supervisors, who lead a team of seven student assistants to staff libraries every night.